Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stride modification

First off, this week has been fun...Kendra went to a running clinic and I went to a nutritional seminar for distance running. So we've got a bunch of new info. Here are some of the things I am trying with my stride. I'll share some nutritional info later.

Keep in mind that I am leaving out the basic fundamentals of a good running stride so the assumption is that one is already in place. These are the slight changes I made. When done alone, without an already properly aligned running gate, these adjustment could very well cause you to face plant, not kidding. And all this is very high level, reach out to me if you'd like more detail.

1 - 2 inch increased forward lean, can increase as much as 2 more inches depending on speed desired. Full body is leaning, not just from hips or mid-torso. Body is still aligned, just leaning slightly forward. Keying on gravity to pull me forward as opposed to the push of my legs.

Heels slightly higher through back and knees lower in front. This was/is hard for me because I was basically trained as a sprinter through college.

Less rigid lower legs, feet land aligned under me, not in front. Due to relaxed lower leg and low knee lift, foot barely clears ankle. Foot strike is (more) quiet.

Chin in neutral position, arms swing no more than forearm length and stay at 90 degree angle. Slight inward/outward motion is natural.

How this feels to me:
Feels like someone is pulling me forward from my mid torso.
Knees, hips, ankles, lower back feel incredibly better due to less impact (not lifting knee as high).
Cadence feels faster.
Calves are little more soar, but all the bones are good to go.
Ran 13.2 yesterday and my body felt like it only ran 8-9. That's a great thing! My average split was 7:47.

I've also modified my diet...but I'll add that in a different post.

Stay healthy!

4 comments:

209Mike said...

I might have to pick your brain later. I just ran 7 miles and it felt like I ran 22. Legs are a little dead still.

209Mike said...

Oh I hear ya on the dead legs. I was just laughing cause it was the complete opposite of your experience and I was laughing almost the entire 2nd half of the run. "Hey body, I'm listening". Sounds like your health is doing great right now.

GB said...

Sounds like the POSE Method... honestly, not a fan.

But if it works for you, go for it.

CrossFit folks are always trying to get me to run POSE and to go to the clinics. I tried that method 4 years ago and it made me slower. :(
So I went back to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," (in regards to my gait).

I always work on good running posture though. And you know as well as I that core strengthening improves posture tremendously.

F. Lee said...

Chi Running is the running clinic that prompted me to make the adjustment.