Thursday, August 2, 2007

The first post

My sister has this awesome blog http://www.sillylillie.blogspot.com/ that I think is a great inspiration for runners. So she inspired me to do the same. While I enjoy running, I also enjoy fitness in general. I love working with people to help them do better. I've worked-out and trained with friends, but that is not what I like best. Lately I have been working with youth through teenage soccer athletes, creating speed programs. I obviously can't do this alone. I read a lot about athlete's acceleration drills and body-weight only power building. I also use a lot of the plyo drills in a sports conditioning class I teach 1x per week at the gym. The fun thing for me is that since I am teaching, I get to do the workout along with my class, and get paid.

A great website I refer too for my one-on-one speed training is http://www.atheletesacceleration.com/. They give a lot of information at a high level that might be hard to understand if you're not familiar with track workouts. However, they also offer a program you can buy. I haven't bought it yet but I will soon. In the meantime, I learn a lot from their articles.

Anyway, my week of fitness was kind of light. On Tueday I ran with and trained a teenage soccer client. I like to do this because it breaks up the session for my client and it is fun. It also lets me feel the exact demands on the body that I am asking him to perform. We did various plyos on the grass (great for cushioning and forced explosion) and the sprint intervals last no longer than 6 seconds with a 6-12 second recovery. Six seconds because in a soccer game, he would rarely run longer than that. On Wednesday taught my SC class and really hammered the core and resistance training. I do resistance training for seconds, versus reps in the class. Thursday, swam laps for 35 minutes. I am not much of a swimmer but the fact that I can now lap for 35 minutes is a big gain for me. Swimming is such a great overall body workout and I don't even know much about it.

I hope you all enjoy your workouts and the weekend. I am off to various soccer tourneys with the family. CHEERS!

2 comments:

GB said...

Hey Lee, I am looking so forward to reading about all your fitness stuff. You rock!

Love to the family.

GB said...

Don't forget pictures!