Thursday, August 23, 2007

the 300

Last night was my sports conditioning class. I've been reading a lot about the Spartan 300 and Tabata 300 workout. Low and behold my sister blogs that she did the Tabata at home. Great minds think alike.

I decided to do a make shift of the workout for my class. Makeshift because we don't have pull-up bars or rings in the group exercise room. It was still a heck of a workout and one that I am still feeling today.

We broke up the reps into sets of ten versus as little sets as possible because I wasn't sure how much the class could handle. We did stick to the 10 seconds of rest in between each set.

55 reps of mountain climbers.
55 mature air squats, w/ butt hitting the step with 4 risers.
55 V-sits (brutal).
55 push-ups (progression was alternating staggered hands or explosion off the floor so hands are lifted from the floor during the up portion of the push-up).
55 20-24 inch box jumps (depending on student ability).
25 dumbbell clean and jerks.

They finished this in about 35 minutes, so they could have handled more....

That said I added some additional exercises:
3 sets of 10 roll-ups (standing, squat down, roll onto back with feet extended over head; roll forward and back to standing without use of hands, progression is back to standing, but on one foot only).
3 sets of 10 get-up, sit-up with dumbbells (modified).

All told 360 reps. Next time I will modify it so that we don't do it in sets of 10. I'll try to take pics of the next workout, but the gym can be a little anal sometimes.

Also, I did a recovery run on Tuesday with Kendra, cruised a 4.21 miler at just over 9 minutes per. My right knee was bugging me from the day's previous run and all the downhills.

1 comment:

GB said...

Hey bro, how are ya? How's everything going? I know you're probably running yourself ragged as usual. I hope all is well. Love to you and the girls.