Monday, May 19, 2008

Craziness!

It's been wildly hot in the valley of Northern CA the last few days...so hot that 99 degrees was actually cool. For the first time this spring, I had to turn the solar down on the pool because 90 degree water just doesn't sound that refreshing. My family was swimming last night and after getting out of the water, it made 96 degree air temp seem cold...so my pool was so warm that it gave us the reverse effect of cooling down! That's funny!

I've been thinking about my sister, her friend Danny and my high school friend Mike because they ran the 50K Ohlone Trail run yesterday while the temps were north of 95! BRUTAL! I've only heard from them to know that they made it alive...and that it was incredibly difficult. But I am very proud of all three of them for gutting it out. Mike and and my sister GB both were the first male and female rookies to cross the line, so they took home Rookie of the Year honors! Way to go. As an ode to all the runners yesterday, I attempted to run a 10K in 104 degree heat yesterday...it was so freakin' hot that I only got through a 5K...I then swam laps for another 10-15 minutes (which in itself is a butt kicker for me!) I am glad I at least did that for all of them.

This morning I wanted to beat the heat, so I ran this course in my town that is used for a local 12K race. It's a fun little course with some nice rollers, nothing too crazy though. I last ran this course on race day in 53 minutes and change, but ran it today in 58:45. I was glad to run it sub-1 hour since temps were already in the high 70s - low 80s.

The killer thing...in a previous post I mentioned that my heel and the very back of my arch was sore...it was really sore today. I think I have achilles tendon bursitis (based on symptons I googled) and my plantar fascii is acting up too because of it. Unfortunately, I'll be needing a little rest, but I can still ride and swim! YeeHaw!

1 comment:

GB said...

Hey Lee, thanks so much for the great support!!!

I'm recovering, but oucheemama, it ain't good. My feet are WORSE today and so are my legs. Dude, incredible throbbing everywhere. But hey, you wanna do it next year, I'm with ya!

I picked up a floatee belt thingy so I can pool run this week. Since I can't get socks or shoes on these hammer toes, I am going to pool run. :) Sounds like a good option for you, too. Seriously, it is the closest thing to road running as far as cross training. And do intervals in the pool. They will kick your butt!

LOVE the pics of Kayleen. I foresee another marathoner in our future.