Saturday, May 3, 2008

A 5K run w/ my daughter

I ran a 5k the Sunday before the Boston Marathon with my oldest daughter who is 10. She is the one that plays club soccer, where we are driving up and down CA. :) She met up with some other friends whose parents said that they would pay 'em $20 bucks if they ran sub-30. So obviously she hit me up with a similar proposition...I told her if she ran sub-27, i'd do something for her. Well, check out her time:
129 overall
5 F 1-14 (5th in age group...actually I think she was 2 or 3 because at least two boys were in the girls group)
25:14.5 chip time
25:18.0 gun time
0:03.5
8:10/M

So I ponied up a little with some greenbacks and also took her to yogurt, she was soooo happy. She then says, "Dad, can I run in more races?" I was like "Of course!" The only work I've done with her is on her sprinting and explosion, agility and plyo stuff, for soccer. And making sure her sprint stride is efficient. Her running, outside of soccer, is all her. She just loves it. My little one, she likes to run too, but she didn't want to do this race. After she heard about her sister, she was so proud of her, giving her a big hug. She also asked about running more races. My wife and I told them that any race they want to run, we'll do it. We are so blessed that we have kids who love these types of things and they don't even realize the foundation of health they are building.

I was very happy with my time. I know I am very blessed, and by the grace of God, He has given me some very good athletic abilities. It's knowing this that motivates me to want to push my training efforts for this coming CIM. I don't want to let it go to waste, the gifts that he's given me. I stay in shape as part of my lifestyle. Although I don't necessarily run all the time, maybe 2X/week (that's a stretch), I am still able to run up to a half-marathon distance. Some days I'll have ok speed, others are endurance days;) and as long as I have a good pair of motion stability shoes, it's all good.

At the start line I told myself, go for a PR, why not. Distance speed isn't necessarily my strength as I was a long and triple jumper in college. My PR from years ago is 19:50, but that was a decade ago. Anyway, I was close...here's how I finished up.
17th out of 831
37 age
3 M 35-39 (3rd in age group)
20:06.7 chip
20:10.0 gun
6:30/M

I'll take it! I'll post the pics once they are released. Enjoy the weekend, I am off to do yardwork!

2 comments:

GB said...

Dude, one of my summer goals is a sub-20 5K. You're inspiring me to go for it! But my next race is a 10K on May 10. We'll see how it goes. I'm running it without a watch and I'm not even going to worry about pace. I'm just gonna run "balls out" and see what happens. I'll probably get a cramp. hee hee hee.

209Mike said...

Nice to see the blog back in action. Man, what did your mom put in the food at the dinner table for you guys? (I need the Lumpia recipe). Sub-20 is insane. Your daughter is awesome. She'll be faster than me by next year. Thanks (to you and GB) for giving me great inspiration.